Road accident fund


Road accident fund claims

Victims of road accidents often suffer life changing injuries.

Our focus is to help you get back on the road to recovery and to rebuild your life as quickly as possible.

With more than 20 years of experience in personal injury and Road Accident Fund claims we are able to ensure that our clients who are victims of road accidents receive top class expert legal services at a fair price.

The expenses related to quantifying (valuing) your road accident fund claim is carried by us until the claim is finalised. You can expect to receive service and results that we are proud of.

Who can claim?
The Road Accident Fund exists to assist all road users, including pedestrians and cyclists, should they be injured due to another person’s negligent driving.

One of the main requirements is that the accident should be caused by another person’s negligent driving. Thus if you lost control of your own vehicle by falling asleep or swerved for a donkey, you will not be able to claim.

Dependants such as spouses and minor children can claim if a breadwinner is injured or dies

What can you claim?
You can claim compensation for bodily injuries and financial loss related thereto.

You can claim for:

  1. Medical and related expenses;
  2. Loss of income or ability to work;
  3. General damages such as pain and suffering etc in case of a serious injury such as amputation.

Your case has to be supported by evidence such as reports by medical experts, advising the court on your injuries and the financial impact it has had on your life.

You cannot claim for damage to your car or valuables such as cellphone. Your claim is based only on the physical injuries you sustained and any damage related thereto.

When to claim
It is important to obtain legal advice for your unique situation.

To start a RAF claim, documents have to be submitted to the RAF within time limits prescribed by law. Your attorney can assist you to ensure that the forms are completed and submitted correctly to avoid your claim being dismissed later.

There are different time limits for a claim:

  1. Hit and run – where the driver or owner of the vehicle is unknown has to be submitted within 2 years.
  2. Identified driver – where the driver or vehicle has been identified the claim has to be submitted within 3 years.

Exceptions exist for children under 18 and individuals with mental handicaps or disability.

You should contact your attorney for advice. Remember it is an offence for any person who is not an attorney to do a claim on your behalf.

Contact Us
Block 2, Lombardy Business Park Cnr Cole
& Graham Rds Lombardy Pretoria
Mondays - Thursdays 08h00-16h00
Friday 08h00-13h00

Contact Form
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
© 2020 Paul du Plessis Attorneys All rights reserved | Privacy Policy | Articles | Legal help by Right Click Media