Road Accident Fund claims in Pretoria have increased, although the numbers are not as high as in the United States. Road transportation is a critical element to economic growth. Unfortunately, road accidents are a negative consequence and affect both the citizens and the economy. That is why the Road Accident Fund was introduced.

The Road Accident Fund provides compulsory cover to all South African road users against injuries sustained or death arising from accidents within the country’s borders. Compensation largely depends on the injuries suffered and what your job was beforehand.  The Road Accident Fund, commonly referred to as RAF, is a government-run insurance scheme operating under the Act 56 of 1996. The cover is in form of indemnity insurance.

The fund was created to pay compensation to road accident victims either killed or injured as a result of negligence of the owner of the car or the driver at any place within South Africa.  Dependants to the deceased can also claim the fund in the event of death.

The money from the fund comes from a special fuel levy included in the price of diesel and petrol. Filing Road Accident Fund claims in Pretoria on your own can be quite tedious and complicated.  It is highly recommended to hire a qualified attorney in this case.

Let Us Help

How Road Accident Fund Claims in Pretoria work

If you or your loved one suffered injuries due to an accident, you need to claim the fund within 3 years from the date of the accident.  If you don’t know who caused the accident or the driver, you need to claim within a period of 2 years. It doesn’t cost you anything to lodge a claim.  To make a claim, you must complete the claim form known as Form 1. You also need to have:

  • The name of the police station where the accident was reported
  • The case number
  • A copy of the police report
  • A charge sheet
  • Sketch of the accident scene
  • Receipts, vouchers and accounts to prove medical claims and expenses
  • A sworn statement from any witnesses to the accident
  • A letter that authorises the hospital to release medical records to RAF
  • A letter from your employer stating the amount you lost as a result of unpaid wages
  • A medical report stating the amount you’ll pay in future for medical expenses due to the accident

What can you claim?

Road Accident Fund claims in Pretoria include medical expenses, funeral expenses, loss of support for a dependent of the deceased victim, loss of income and general damages.

Lodge Your Claim

How to lodge your claim

In order for you to lodge Road Accident Fund claims in Pretoria, you need to visit RAF offices in Cape Town or the official RAF website. For help with the process, contact Paul du Plessis Attorneys now!


Sorry, comments are closed for this post.

Contact Us
Block 2, Lombardy Business Park Cnr Cole
& Graham Rds Lombardy Pretoria
Mondays - Thursdays 08h00-16h00
Friday 08h00-13h00

Contact Form
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
© 2019 Paul du Plessis Attorneys All rights reserved | Privacy Policy | Articles | Legal help by Right Click Media